środa, 22 września 2010

Francis Joseph Philips

My Grandfather Francis Joseph Philips was born on 10 November 1909 in Stanislau (Polish Stanisławów, today Ukrainian Ivano Frankivsk), in Galicia, which was a part of the Austrian – Hungarian Empire. Hence it is easy to guess that the names Franz Joseph was given in honor of the reigning emperor of Austria - Franz Joseph I.
In 1927 he married Wanda Józefa Bartoszewska, with whom he lived in Stanislau in Wyspianski 17 Street Wyspianski 17 (today Odessa Str. in Ivano-Frankivsk, Ukraine).
He was mobilized to the Polish army on Aug. 27, 1939 year, as a soldier of the 48 Infantry Rifle Regiment in Stanislau. From 3 September 1939 to 16 September 1939 he took part in the fighting against German aggressors fighting under Bochnia, Zamosc, Janowiec, Tomaszów Lubelski, entering into the composition of the 16 Tarnów Infantry Regiment. After the aggression of the Soviet troops in eastern Poland on 17 September 1939, he was captured by the Soviet Union and was imprisoned in the camp, where he remained until 1942. On 1st February 1942, he joined the Polish army formed by General Wladyslaw Anders. Since that time he was a soldier of the Krechowiecki Cavalry Regiment. He left in Stanislau his wife and three children, with who he never saw again. In April 1942, he was in the Polish Armed Forces in Iran. March 25, 1942, in the connection with the reduction of food portion of the army, the regiment in the first evacuation sailed from Krasnovodsk (USSR) to Pahlevi (Iran). May 13, 1943 F. Philips comes to Palestine and is then sent in May to the British training base in the village of Abbassi (northern outskirts of Cairo), where he ends the course as a tank and motor mechanic. 11 January 1944 is appointed corporal. From 8 April 1944 to May 8, 1945. takes part in the fighting at the front in Italy, including the battle at Monte Cassino, as a soldier of 2nd Armoured Brigade. For the participation in the Italian campaign is awarded
the 1939-45 Star, the Italy Star, the Defence Medal and the War Medal 1939-45.

After the war, along with other soldiers of Anders Army found itself in the UK. 10 July 1948 was exempted from the Polish Armed Forces in the UK and he emigrated to Argentina and next to Canada.


Mapa pochodzi ze strony: http://commons.wikimedia.org; autor: Lonio17





>

środa, 27 stycznia 2010

Zilling

OVER A THOUSAND YEARS OF HISTORY


In 966, in a document, Zilling is mentioned for the first time under the name Zuselingen. The oldest village called Illingen. It was located a little further north, at a place called "Illinger Bann"

But our area was inhabited much earlier: The "Seeb" or "Mardelles" had set their houses on stilts to protect themselves.

There were also traces of Roman colonization: in 1892, was discovered near the Zinsel a Roman cemetery with the remains of bones, pottery, glass and zinc tip of spear.

A collapse of the Roman Empire, the Franks were established in our region, mingling with the ancient people called "Walen" or "Walchen.

Around the year 1000, the village belonged to the Duke of Bar, later it depended on the Abbey of St.-Mihiel (Meuse) and, in 1285, the monastery near Vergaville Dieuze. It was then shared between the Knights of Castle Lutzelbourg and the Lords of Herangi.

In 1460, Count Palatine acquired 2 / 3 of the village that incorporated the County of La Petite Pierre, the rest went to the Lords of Bourscheid. The French Revolution put an end to this situation.

In 1556, Count Palatine introduced the Reformation and its dependencies and Zilling became a Protestant village.

In 1661, Louis XIV purchased the "Route", a wide corridor that would lead to Alsace. Zilling shared the fate of the County which was annexed to Alsace in 1682.

After the Revolution, by a decree of the National Assembly Zilling was seconded villages "Krumm-Elsass" and attached to the department of Meurthe and later the Moselle.

By 1600, Zilling had a chapel, but the church today was built in 1720 and revamped in 1883.

The old houses built in the 19th century and early 20th century are spacious and have the "Schopf" and often a good frame of carved door.


POPULATION


In 1570 the village had 17 families. The 30-year war has driven much of the population. This will return gradually, since, just before the Revolution, Zilling had 67 inhabitants.

The 1957 census showed 276 inhabitants. This number has steadily decreased until 1982 (225 inhabitants). Since the population has rebounded significantly (259 inhabitants in 1999) with new contructions.

Zillingen - Coat of arms